The hormone progesterone is often associated with pregnancy, but did you know that it has many other amazing benefits for your body? A woman’s progesterone levels gradually decline with age, which allows estrogen to dominate, causing many unwanted negative health symptoms. By restoring your progesterone levels back to normal, you can alleviate your symptoms.
10 Amazing Benefits of Progesterone
1. PMS – Progesterone regulates the menstrual cycle and relieves the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome.
2. Anxiety, Depression and Low Moods – Progesterone acts as a natural antidepressant, relieves anxiety and improves moods. It also relieves postpartum depression which is caused by the drastic drop in progesterone after childbirth.
3. Migraines and Headaches – Progesterone is helpful in relieving migraines and headaches.
4. Fertility and Pregnancy – Progesterone promotes the survival of the embryo and fetus throughout a pregnancy.
5. Fluid Retention and Weight Gain – Progesterone relieves fluid retention and weight gain caused by estrogen dominance.
6. Sleep – Progesterone has a calming effect that helps promote sound sleep.
7. Bone Health – Progesterone promotes bone building and helps reverse osteoporosis.
8. Thyroid Function – Progesterone helps the thyroid hormones be used by the cells of your body which allows for optimal thyroid function and energy.
9. Cancer Prevention – Progesterone protects you against endometrial and breast cancer.
10. Brain Healing – Progesterone reduces swelling and improves mental clarity after a traumatic brain injury.
Bioidentical Progesterone: The Real Thing
By replenishing your progesterone with bioidentical progesterone, you can relieve your symptoms. Bioidentical progesterone is identical to the progesterone made by your body. Progesterone is the natural female hormone that promotes pregnancy by preparing the body for conception, regulating the menstrual cycle and maintaining the pregnancy. It also balances the estrogen in your body and plays an important role in your overall well-being.
Progestins are NOT Progesterone
It’s important to make the distinction between progestin and progesterone, because they are not the same. Progestins (such as Provera) are synthetic chemicals with a different molecular structure than progesterone, which makes them patentable by the pharmaceutical companies, but they do not have the same beneficial effects as your body’s naturally occurring progesterone. In fact, progestins are used in hormonal contraceptives and in the “morning after pills” to prevent pregnancy. The Women’s Health Initiative showed that progestins cause bleeding problems, blood clots, and even cancer.
Mainstream medicine still erroneously uses these two terms interchangeably today. If you’re still in doubt, just ask your doctor if you can take progestin while you’re pregnant. You’ll hear a resounding “no”!
Dr. Hotze discusses the benefits of progesterone for anxiety in women:
Take our symptom checker quiz today to find out if your symptoms could be caused by a progesterone deficiency.